Thread: Oil Leak - Help
View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2017, 02:33 PM   #1
LR44
ninjette.org member

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja 250R

Weird Oil Leak

A couple weeks ago, I finished a rebuild of my swing arm and installed a new rear tire. During the rebuild, the bike was resting on the oil screen cover bolts with the rear end supported by jacks (one for each kickstand).

I come outside a couple days after I finished all of the above and there's an oil spot underneath my bike. Not pleased. I first look underneath the bike to see if resting it on the oil screen cover loosened the screws. I check with a torque wrench and they're all gravy. No leakage around the seam of the cover. I also checked the drain screw and the oil filter screw just in case. Both are fine with no leakage.

I was due to install a new sprocket anyway so I pulled the sprocket cover and cleaned the area with a work towel. I see oil on the towel, so I wipe the area down thoroughly and within about a half hour after installing the sprocket, I notice a trail of oil appear. The oil appears to be pooling under the starter motor (see the attached photo - the red arrow is where the trail of oil appeared). Again, not pleased.

A look at Ron Ayers suggests to me that this is due to a bad starter motor gasket, but I haven't started the bike in a couple months. Am I correct or could this be something else?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (125.3 KB, 2 views)
LR44 is offline   Reply With Quote