View Single Post
Old March 26th, 2009, 10:32 PM   #1
islanderman7
The Sexy Filipino

Name: Jordan

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R 2008 (da black one)

DIY Replacing the clutch cable

If your clutch cable does not "feel" right it is time to check to see if the cable is frayed or snapped. Hopefully you're lucky that you can catch a frayed cable before your on the road. Mine snapped on me while I was on my way to school so its not a fun feeling.

How to remove the clutch cable from the the lever.

Pictures of my frayed cable

First thing is to have a new OEM clutch cable on hand.

Remove the fairings.

I removed the gas tank because I wasn't sure if the clutch cable was zipped tied to other cables underneath the gas tank. Turns out the cable is not tied to anything and you can leave the tank on. Just be sure to route the new cable in the same way that the old cable is routed.

Pushing the old cable out

Make sure to route the new cable into the the circle (circled in red) which is directly under the gas tank if removed.

The last portion of the cable is routed through the radiator reservoir (hard to see but its under my right turn electrical cable in this picture)

There are two nuts you have to unscrew. Top and bottom.

Both top and bottom nut are unscrewed with a 10mm wrench. Screw the top screw upward as far as it will go.

Unscrew the the bottom nut till it comes off the threaded portion of the cable.

With both nuts loose you can slide the cable out of the cable adjuster neck

Remove the old cable end from the clutch lever clevis and pull out of the housing.

Now finish routing the new cable in place of the old cable. Starting from the bottom end hook the new clutch cable end into the clutch cable clevis.

Pull the new cable into the clutch cable adjuster housing (Forgot to snap a pic so using a repetitive pic)

Screw the bottom onto the threaded portion but not all the way to hold the cable into the cable adjust housing.

Move onto the upper portion of the new cable. LEAVE THE PLASTIC PIECE ON.

Make sure everything is lined up as in the picture when installing the new cable into the lever.

I greased the metal clamp portion of the cable

The handlebar adjuster should be backed off all the way because you need to adjust the bottom end first.

Make sure the clutch lever is pushed up all the way and begin tightening both lock nuts to remove the free play.

After you are satisfied with the bottom portion move onto the upper portion to remove the last of the free play. Turn the adjusting screw out until there is 2-3 millimeters of play at the lever.

Once you are satisfied with the adjustment, double check the cable routing. There should be no binding or pulling of the cable when the handlebars are turned (original source cited).

Dress up your ninjette and start riding again.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf DIY Replacing the clutch cable - ninjette.org.pdf (3.70 MB, 92 views)

I'm not riding too fast... I'm flying too low.

Last futzed with by islanderman7; March 27th, 2009 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Leave the plastic piece on at the upper portion of the cable
islanderman7 is offline   Reply With Quote