View Single Post
Old November 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM   #1
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

Moto Machines Sportrack with Pelican case/eBay trunk

Been a while since selling our Ninja 250's, now have a 300... like when we had the 250's we have a need for some storage. With the other bikes we have we don't need sidecases again but some small storage is nice.

On the 250 I did an eBay trunk mounted on a stripped rear seat pan and then custom mounted Givi E21 sidecases. There are threads here I did years ago but photobucket hosed up my photos and I couldn't recover those photos but some of you may remember. So anyway, onto the 300...

At 1st I planned to do the same with a rear seat but after coming across the Moto Machines Sportrack I knew this was the way to go. The sportrack is very heavy duty and comes predrilled with 4 holes in it for case mounting as well as slots around the edges for strapping items to. For the 2 cases we have I used the 2 rear holes for mounting of the case, 1 front hole for a "security" bolt I run up from the undertail, through the Sportrack and into the case to prevent the latch from having to do all the work, the last front hole is to allow my SAE and/or mini-usb plug to go into the case providing power to my cell phone.

A small note about power... I run 2 connectors off the battery. 1 is an SAE run to the trunk area of the bike, the other is my heated gear lead. For the SAE connector I run it into a SAE Y connector to split and run one lead to the bars where I have a ball mount for my phone/gps and the other goes into the trunk. This is easy and works so I have power where I need it and for the times when I only want to run the rear seat instead of a storage box I still have same options.

Blah, blah... onto the pics...

1st the Pelican 1200 case:

Next the eBay trunk (small scooter trunk, will not fit a helmet):

Hope this helps anyone looking for similar.

slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.