View Single Post
Old August 24th, 2017, 11:55 AM   #784
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
In the true spirit of this thread...

On the way home from the track on Wed. I was pumping gas and a less than shiny minivan pulls up to the pump, a 1998 dodge caravan to be specific. A man and pregnant woman hop out and proceed to speak a language I didn't understand. While the man finishes pumping $3.76 in gas, the lady gets a toddler out of a car seat that continues to smile and dance around while mom and dad chat.

I continue to watch...

After a few more minutes, I am done pumping my gas and about ready to pound pavement and then... I stop, get back out of my truck and walk over and ask if they needed anything. They were somewhat shocked and didn't understand why I was there uninvited. I simply stated "can I help you in any way?" I could tell the man was wanting help but the woman was in "guard mode" of their daughter. I don't blame her really...

Anyway, I introduced myself and asked if they had enough gas to get to their destination. The man said no, so I popped in my credit card and filled their tank. Then the woman asked for $5 for food. I had a $5 in my pocket but didn't want to just do that, so I said c'mon in and pick out whatever you want in the store. The lady only picks 3 items. A quart of milk and 2 travel sized boxes of cereal. Their little girl picks up a sucker and the lady takes it from her and puts it back. They take 5 more steps ahead of me and I get the sucker and when I get to the register... I say I am only paying for the sucker. The woman's body language tells me she is frustrated with me and the man is totally confused now.

I tell them not to worry, that I will take care of it.... just follow me.

We arrive back at the gas pumps behind my trailer. I ask they wait here for 2 minutes as I get in my trailer and give them a quart of milk and 3 travel cereal bowls from my food stash in the cooler.

I have never been thanked so many times in my life until that night. After that, we had a nice chat for about 5 minutes. Turns out they are Syrian refugees that were being moved from Cleveland to Columbus to new temporary housing and ran out of $$$. My gift to them that night assured they would arrive in Columbus and not be hungry upon arrival.

They said thank you and bless you about 100 more times, I told them your welcome, we shook hands and we were on our way.

Good luck to Aimar, Rasha and lil Haya!

Interestly enough... I also got a Coke out of the cooler for me. On that Coke it said.... Share a Coke with Haya. NO WAY!!!!

+3 more
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.