View Single Post
Old April 25th, 2016, 05:40 AM   #19
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I cannot do that no matter how hard I try. I'm too short.

The sight glass nonsense is my biggest peeve with motorcycles. My R6 track bike has a screw-in dipstick. You still need to get the bike upright, but doing that, then putting it back on the kickstand and pulling the stick is a lot easier than trying to balance a 400-lb machine with one hand over your head while you lean down.

When changing the oil it's easy because the bike is on paddock stands. But any other time, too much of a hassle.

Simplest way I've found is to just go get a telescoping mirror, available at any hardware, auto parts or home improvement store. Even Walmart has 'em. Sit on the bike, bring it upright and maneuver the mirror so you can see the sight glass. Done.

PS: My GSX-R also doesn't show oil when filled to stated capacity, so I add a little as others have stated above.

Remember it's not a good thing to have too much oil in the engine. Also don't sweat it too much... the sight glass is a tad conservative. There's plenty of oil in the sump even if it's not showing in the glass.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote