View Single Post
Old May 18th, 2016, 07:58 AM   #25
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
I used to be 5'7" but my latest physical shows that gravity is catching up with me so I'm 5'6" also.

It does get better with experience, but it's never going to be easy to back up even the slightest incline using just the balls of your feet.

This is the one biggest beefs I have with people who say that not being able to get a foot down is not an issue. If you're short, it IS an issue, especially if you're inexperienced. For those of average height or greater, go duct tape a rolled-up beach towel to your seat and give it a try, especially when there's grit/sand/gravel on the road.

If you're not comfortable getting off and pushing the bike, consider scooting over to one side just a bit so you can get one foot fully down.

The comment on rearsets is spot-on. My Ninjette had rearset adapter plates (they reposition your stock rearsets back and up), and it did make a difference.

Also, if you move as far forward in the seat as you can, the step-over height is less because the seat is narrower close to the tank. That might help.

For the record, my street bike is now a GSX-R750 (seat height 31.9 inches) and I have NO problems duck walking it, because I've gotten used to it.

My track bike is an R6 which is so high I'm on my toes at all times. But since it's a track bike, I never have to deal with street issues like crowned roads, loose surfaces, etc.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote