View Single Post
Old July 4th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #25
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I just spent the 4th of July weekend riding around South Padre Island. I am located in the most southern part of the United States. It's HOT and humid. When I rode over there, the speed limit is 60-75 mph. I went in full gear. Once in the actual island, the speed limit is 30-40 mph. I decided to wear only a helmet so I can experience the difference. It is still hot anyway. The hot wind would dry my sweat so the wind provided no relief to the heat. The heat hits directly to my body and my skin. Dust, dirt, sand and small debris would hit my neck and arms and that hurt. When I left the island, back to full gear. It was very hot but with my leather on, the temperature inside my gear is not as hot as the temperature outside of my gear. The heat hits the leather and not directly my skin. I felt the heat more without my leather. I did sweat more with my gear but felt less heat. My full gear set is
DOT and Snell full face helmet
Leather gauntlet gloves
Leather pants with protective armour
Perforated leather jacket with upgraded back armour and elbow/shoulder armour
Perforated leather boots with ankle and shin protection

Just get leather. Perforated leather gives great protection and some relief when the wind hits your sweat. Is it a pain in the a** to put on and take off? Yes. Would it be more of a pain in the a** to have to recover from road rash? I wouldn't want to find out. Personally, if I go again. I might consider getting textile only for in city speed limits since the speed limit is slow and the traffic moves slowly but anything above 30 mph and it's full leather for me. See the picture below: these are the temperatures we have down here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160704_143647.jpg (43.6 KB, 3 views)