View Single Post
Old December 15th, 2021, 05:05 PM   #1
James Page
ninjette.org member

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 03 Ducati 749, 08 250r, 2017 RC390

My Street Ninjette is Cooler Than Yours

Above is my 2008 250r. It's a street bike. I bought it new in 2008 with the intent to make it the lightest, fastest 250 possible.

I've been riding since 1976 when I purchased a Kawasaki Z1, my first 'real' bike. Since then I've owned everything from Aprilia RS50 two strokes to 170 hp ZX10r's, but my favorite bikes have always been lightweight, small-displacement. One of my favorites was my Aprilia RS250, which mysteriously disappeared from my storage unit while I was living abroad for a year (if you ever run across an RS250 with a blue anodized frame, let me know - that's mine).

With that in mind, when the new generation 250r appeared in 08 I decided to buy one and turn in into as close a street-going version of the RS250 as I could. Emphasis would be first on WEIGHT LOSS, secondly on HANDLING, third on power output.

It's now 323 lbs with half a tank of fuel and puts out about 36 rear wheel hp on the local dyno (your results may vary). It feels as strong as my other bike, an RC390 with a worked hi-comp head, full Werkes pipe and PCV with dyno tune. It handles much better. It may be my favorite bike ever.

I've modded it as follows:

1) Engine mods: head was ported and polished by the guy who used to build engines for Gary Nixon (google him). JE pistons custom built me 13:1 pistons (long before they produced them for sale). Crank balanced. BRT ignition advancer. Full Area P header with GP style can. The usual airbox/filter upgrades. Carb jetting by the Gary Nixon guy.

2) Suspension mods: Forks completely redone by Traxxion Dynamics - springs, cartridge emulators, heavier oil. Fully adjustable Penske rear shock and dogbone linkage that raises rear by +/- 10 mm. Forged Gale Speed 10 spoke wheels (drops 7 lbs from OEM wheels) with ceramic wheel bearings.

3) Drivetrain mods: 520 non- O-ring chain, 43 tooth aluminum rear sprocket, 15 tooth front

4) Ergo mods: Billet Zita triple clamp (really stiffens up the front) with clipons mounted above the top clamp, forks up 30 mm in clamps. Generic rearsets. Double bubble screen. Adjustable levers.

5) Braking mods: Front Galfer Wave rotor. Rear rotor drilled out. Nissan front brake master cylinder. Steel braided lines front/back. EBC HH sintered pads.

6) Tires: Conti Attack 110/70 and 150/60 (although I would much prefer a smaller rear rim that could run a 115/75R17 rear - the OEM rim will, but the 4 inch Gale Speed forged rim is much lighter, hence the 150/60).

Assorted mods: Lithium battery, GP undertail, CF side paneld, numerous really cool stickers I'm sure there's a bunch of stuff I'm missing.

This little 250 rocks. It will absolutely run the twisties, and will eat SV650s at track days.

Here's a video of it on the road: https://youtu.be/vOctV2Xlq9A. This was before the wheels and some of the engine work.

Anyone else stupid enough to do the same to their ninjette? Let's see em.
James Page is offline   Reply With Quote