Thread: Carb woes
View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2022, 11:26 AM   #235
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

yep like Danno says it's the last 1/4" of that lever movement that does all the work....
I had a hell of a time with my T140's idle , could not get that big beast started
and if i did and lucked out and got it running it would not idle and this was after cleaning the carbs mutable times ...
I found out that on the Amal Carbs the 930's the pilot jet is not removable
and discovered that the left side pilot jet was completely plugged so I got tired of messing with them and ordered 2 new Amal 930 carbs with removable pilot jets... just before the new carbs arrived I finally got through the blockage in that one pilot jet and tried it... and it started and ran and even idled ...
i put on the new carbs anyway and got them all tuned in and now the bike starts with one kick usually...
the secret I've found with my 1977 Triumph T140 750cc classic in starting is
a starting procedure... you tickle the carbs turn on the choke fully turn on the key and kick it and it roars to life and then you let it idle for about 2 minutes
till it sounds like it is loading up ( running fat) then you slowly take off the choke while keeping the rpms up slightly then when the choke is fully off your ready to go....
usually starting after that is just tickle the carbs and kick it ,,, with no choke....
if you look at the choke lever it's easy to see what way is on or off but you gott'a look at it when the cable is fully pulled out the choke is off with the cable as short as it can be it's fully on....
the manual doesn't tell you that I guess your supposed to figure it out yourself ! LOL

Bob.....