View Single Post
Old January 31st, 2022, 10:48 AM   #45
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yesterday I finished making a Winch Pole for "Miss Piggy" I had some scrap1"x1/8" wall 6061t6 Aluminum tubing so I cut sections down and cut solid steel plugs that just fit inside the tubing and pinned them in one end with a bolt
and the pole is as tall as I am when assembled I also made a foot for the bottom end and then took a 1" ratching strap and attached it to a 6" piece of the same tubing for the top... I cut off the hook and tied a loop about 8" in diameter so I can easilly loop it around the end of the handle bar and hand guard and put the other end in the ratchet and crank it up....
i put the thing vertical in the vice and tested it with my 186lbs and it lifted me easy.... so it should lift the bike should it ever fall over and I can't lift that heavy thing back up.....
I got the idea from the guy on "My senior moments" on youtube.
it's heavy though the whole thing probably weighs 20lbs ! LOL
but it is strong and it's not going to bend....
there is alot I can do to lighten it up , like drill out the slugs and put a 1/2" diam hole through them to make each one alot lighter and remove the bolts and pin the slugs with a 1/4" piece of aluminum rod. which would make them easier to use as well. all in all it turned out really good.
although I haven't tried laying the bike over in the back yard and then using the winch to get it upright again but I will when it warms up a bit....
I made the thing to fit in the saddle bag and it does , so that part was a success !
I think I have 5 sections of 13" and one of 6" with the ratchet on it.
so it gives me plenty of height !
I've always said " if you can't pick up your motorcycle when it's laying on it's side you should NOT be on it !" but times change and I'm not going to quit riding just because I'm an old fart !
....LOL
Bob.........