Old February 12th, 2022, 02:53 AM   #136
shspvr
ninjette.org guru

Name: Anthony

Motorcycle(s): 07 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuspectPage3 View Post
Hello Fellow Riders,

I know it's been a while and I haven't updated you guys on the issue with my bike. This is going to be a longer one...

So after a long time of waiting, going through two mechanics, pain& suffering(of seeing the bike sit in garage), unsuccessful attempt to post on Sydney FB Ninja group and so much more, I made the decision.

I read through all your comments, your posts, your encouragements and instructions. I made the decision to do the carb cleaning myself. I would certainly like to thank Bob Kelly, Shspvr, Danno, Triple Jim, and everyone else who helped in any shape or form. Your inputs were definitely helpful. I went to local bike shop, got a $6 carb cleaner spray can, rags, newspaper, gloves, and bunch of tools with me (not professional ones, I got them from KMart for $20 kit). I opened up the carbs and gave them a thorough clean (cleaned them once, didn't have time to put them on bike, next day cleaned once again just to be sure) and then put the bike back together finally.

Put the key in, flick the kill switch, and hit the starter button.... She started right up at first go! I was over the moon, I was extremely happy and delighted. Someone with zero knowledge about bikes and engine/carbs, I got her to start. (Note that the second mechanic's attempt to fix her, had made the issue even worse and she wasn't even firing up at all). So I clearly had done a decent job at this stage. Now, after about 30 secs of idling, I opened the throttle and she didn't die on me (like what the issue was in first place). I did it! I fixed the issue and successfully cleaned the carbs in first attempt (given from your comments that some people had to re-clean them 4-5 times). The bike idles perfectly, revs up, coolant is well, and no issues so far. So put the fairings back on and she's ready to test, I was nervous, I rolled down the driveway, and started her up, clutch in, first gear, slowly release the clutch and reving up at the same time... And she picked up, no bogging, no spluttering, none at all. I did a small test ride, successful. I went for a bigger one, and bigger one and then for an hour long ride (through the laneways, roads, main roads and highways) and a sure success. I have been riding her to work for 2 days now, no issues, I am a happy puppy.

During this whole process, I had a concern that I hope I don't do something wrong somewhere and cause more harm than good, but I didn't. The one thing I'm noticing though is that she's burning a little too much fuel than I think she should. I guess some adjustments weren't perfect when putting the needle screws together. So I could use some further help here please.

Once again, thank you all for your help, guidance and encouragement along the journey. I surely agree with Danno "First, you have to recognize there are NO mechanics, zip, nada, zilch, none that can work on carbs properly!". I feel confident to do any further maintenance on her myself. It's not that difficult once you dive in and have correct tools.

Regards,
Chinmay
Usually, it depends sometimes they can come clean right way sometimes it can take many times to get all gunk out for it work any way good Job
shspvr is offline   Reply With Quote