View Single Post
Old June 8th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #14
The_big_dill
ninjette.org member

Name: Phil

Motorcycle(s): 1987 Ninja 250 custom gold

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Don't shift into first until you are almost stopped. Doing it at a higher speed is bad for the transmission.

I suspect you are adding oil on the side stand. The oil wont come into the glass until the bike is vertical.

But you can measure it too. Just coincidentally, 2 US quarts equals 1.9 liters. But you need to make sure that you drain the filter chamber before adding new oil. Ordinarily you should replace the filter and this will automatically drain the filter chamber.

Its critical to assemble the filter in the correct order. If you mix it up, the bike could send contaminated oil to the bearings and destroy them. Below is the proper order.

If you bought your bike used, then there is no guarantee that the PO put it back in the right order. So go by the diagram.
Thanks for that reply.

Ever since i got the bike last october, part number 13169 was at the bottom... And i just followed the way it was put on. I just did an oil change too. May need to find a clean empty container to collect the oil in because i just ran out.

Also, the lens that lets you see the oil level looks the SAME whether there is or isn't oil in the bike.
The_big_dill is offline   Reply With Quote