EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS:Area P Quiet core full system, Kleen air system removed

JET KIT OR STOCK? Jet Kit

BRAND OF JET KIT? Factory Pro

MAIN JET: 112

NEEDLE AND CLIP POSITION: 3

MIXTURE SCREW SETTINGS: 2-3/4 turns out from bottom, initially

ELEVATION: sea level to 3800 ft.

MISCELLANEOUS INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR BIKE’S JETTING SETUP:

switched from configuration in post #2 to a no air box and a single K&N filter (K&N P/N R-0990) plus the installation of a factory Pro jetting kit.

Initial settings of 112 mains, clip in the 3rd position, and mixture settings of 2 3/4 turns out from bottom revealed a bike that pulls harder than my previous setup and carburetes a bit cleaner throughout the entire rev range. Not mind blowing, warp drive, eye blurring acceleration, but definitely more power than the stock air box and washers under stock needles setup. It's getting closer to where I want to be.

I do feel the mains might be a bit rich and the mids might need a bit of tweaking. Carbs were resynced, but it was not that different from when I set it when doing the washers under the needles.

I've played with the mixture screws from my initial 2 3/4 due to the low end feeling boggy. I richened it out to 3 turns out and it did seem to improve a slight hesitation a had when I would blip the throttle after the bike was fully warmed up. Bike ran well at sea level, but a bit lethargic on the bottom end.

Readjusted the mixture using the "screw in the mixture screw until the idle drops, then back it off until the idle returned to normal" method. With that method, I found the bike had a slight surge while cruising in 5th or 6th with the throttle barely cracked, which said to me the idle circuit was a bit lean.

I last backed the mixture screw out 1/4 of a turn from my last setting and the bike seems perfect as far as the idle circuit is concerned. Warm up is quick at both sea level and 3800 ft and the bike does not surge at low throttle cruising settings. At this time, I have no idea where the mixture screws are set, only that the bike pulls nicely at lower rpms and runs cleanly without any bogging or surging. I will report back when I have the chance to pull the carbs at a future date. All I know for now is that it runs good when the mixture screws are set up in this manner.

What did I gain from going to my new configuration? More top end power, smoother power delivery throughout the entire powerband and cleaner carburetion when twisting the throttle at any throttle setting position.

What did I lose? I feel the midrange power "hump" from removing the air box is gone, so the bike does not "feel" as responsive in the 5-8k range. This is not to be confused with less power, as there is definitely more power in that range than w/ the air box... it's just that the oomph at that range is absent replaced by a smooth roll on in power.

Future plans calls for leaning out the mains to 110, playing with the clip positions in both richer and leaner steps and further fine tuning of the mixture screws.

As a base setting, the recommendations made by Vex (thank you, Vex!!) are great and pretty close to get the bike running well with the air box delete and separate air cleaner installed. My attempts will be to zero in on making the bike respond crisper and more aggressively throughout the entire range for my daily commute.

If you have any comments or questions regarding the changes I've made or changes I plan to make, I would be more than happy to continue discussion in the jetting database discussion thread...

jetting... isn't it fun and simple??
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote