Thread: me Duc
View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2019, 11:40 AM   #36
Ducati999
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Ant

Motorcycle(s): Ducati 999 2012 Ninja 250r Ducati748 Yellow finally running 2003 SV650 S (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
This stuff all new to me...I'm nowhere near competent to approach the hot rodding stage.....nothing wrong with the bike...at this time just doing "look don't touch" checks, dumbing my way around the software and acclimating to its basic functions, trying my best not to wreck anything.....wiping the factory ECM .bin file my biggest fear!

Educating myself...my motive is to get a leg up on being able to read, interpret, reset flipped codes, diagnose and perform corrective repairs ...OBD stuff....just like the family auto.
Required some special cabling between laptop and bike diagnostic output plug. The laptop required a specific diagnostic program to read the Magnetti Marelli ECM. Aprilia, Moto Guzzi and Ducati use same brand ECM's and a few common software programs.

Gotta admit, sometimes I miss the simple pilot, main jets and needles though, but I'll get there in time.
You have quite a Beautiful collection of bikes @ducatiman! Your 900SS is the exact year and model I was planning on getting next but I may get an NSR or TZ first(long story). I have not owned a 2 Valve Air cooled torque monster Ducati--yet, but I do have a 4 Valve liquid cooled torque monster and it has been dead reliable also. I have been tracking my 999 for 6 seasons now and she has nearly 30,000 miles with nothing more than required service. Oil changes, fork and brake oil, tires and the like. Never has she failed to start or put a smile on my face. Ducati's are made to be worked on at the track or your garage and most of the time there is a clever way to do something that is not initially obvious but once you figure it out everything becomes easier. I have just rebuilt my 748 into a 916 with just a crank, piston and cylinder swap. The FI program is easily modified with a new chip or you can simply reprogram the chip with a custom map. Your experience has carbs as simple and easy (just like my dad) but I find the ability to adjust fuel, timing, TPS and other values in seconds as good as it gets. Just make sure you always save a copy of the original file before you start to make changes.

Beautiful collection of bikes you have there and I hope to be asking you some questions on setting up my flatslides for "my" 95 900SS once I get one!
Ducati999 is offline   Reply With Quote