Thread: me Duc
View Single Post
Old April 15th, 2019, 06:14 PM   #37
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
well thank you @Ducati999 As an older guy (retired from my regular job 3 years) my go fast days are way behind me. As are "project bikes" or restorations. The carb enterprise keeps me focused and occupied. I very much enjoy the business, challenge and activity.

I bought the 900SS/SP 25 years ago new, 34,000 miles now, its never been to a dealer. Its one and only "failure" (I rode home)...broke a $6 shift shaft return spring in 2017...other than that, the usual tires, fluids, filters, valves and belts, etc all normal maintenance. Garaged, covered, everything kept original, for the most part. Zero regrets buying that thing. Fun factor 11.

The '07 SS800 acquired from my deceased neighbor. Bike sat in garage 6 years, made a very fair offer to widow, who accepted. Rick (the PO) would have wanted the bike operational, which it now is with just over 5000 miles. Its FI....and cherry. Stock save for GPR hi-rise exhaust. Light weight, great handler. Upon purchase I did belts, tires, fuel filter...thats it so far.

The '98 5th Gen VFR800 Honda a bit heavier but has "that" gear driven cam V4, FI engine. Very comfy for longer rides, compliments the Ducati's perfectly. 42,000 on it....and counting. I've done a ton of maintenance on it. Turnkey, ready to go cross country...right now.

All 3 are remarkably reliable. Needless to say are impeccably maintained. Fully satisfied with these...I'm just not inclined to buying anything newer or new.

I think you would be well served with an older air-cooled "desmodue" Supersport. Easy to maintain, fun, light, good handler and looker, draws comments, conversations, waves, whoops and hollers wherever you go. I believe they have achieved a "late model classic" status.

A guy over at Ducati.ms forum just picked up a complete, though neglected, '95 900SS for just $800. Great price, needs some TLC, he'll be piling on miles in no time.

You a member over at Ducati.ms? Again, thank you for your comments.
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote