View Single Post
Old February 1st, 2011, 04:25 PM   #52
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by zomgcake View Post
Rarely ever. I know eventually somebody would open a door at me (thats just how people are in my area).
That's partially because it isn't legal there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
All the time. It definitely takes some focused attention, but it's a very good feeling knowing that you won't ever be significantly delayed by traffic while on a bike.

The accident in the video above is one of the classic lane-split crashes when a car jumps to a gap in the adjoining lane without signaling. This why the spidey-senses need to ping very loudly whenever you see an open gap in a lane one over like that. Accelerating just at that point was the absolute wrong move, and it's one he likely won't make again.
EXACTLY what I was going to say. He should have been watching that truck on his left like a hawk and covered the brake (when lanes splitting is the only time it's OK) and be ready to slow/stop at the first hint of the truck moving. I noticed that he gunned it at the exact time I would have preemptively slowed and there was enough time to react if you were expecting it.

I, too, lane split often. Freeways and surface streets. I don't often risk it if there is minimal advantage to doing so and it doesn't help improve traffic flow, but it usually does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinx250 View Post
Actually, if you look at the video, the truck signalled.

To answer the OP's question, I live in CA and I absolutely lane split. If I couldn't I probably wouldn't own a bike. The question of "Is it wise?" can only be answered by the individual rider. I know people in CA who adamantly refuse to lane split. In their mind it's too dangerous. Then you have the ones who use the "Someone's going to open a door on me" argument. But I have never heard first hand of anyone opening car/truck doors with the intent to stop/crash a rider who's lane splitting. And the only significant MC crash report does not have a section devoted to whether any of the accidents were a result of lane splitting.

All that being said, the US is pretty much the only place in the world where spliting is specifically illegal. Damn near every other country in the world allows it, but 49/50 states haven't caught up with reality yet.
I replayed the video several times SPECIFICALLY looking for it and all I could tell is that at some point a light on the front side is lit (possibly a running light). Even if he used his turn signal, it was an illegal lane change. The whole point of a signal is to signal intent, not to signal what you are already doing.

Oh, and I'm pretty sure that most people don't want to damage their door or kill someone and then be stuck there in bumper-to-bumper traffic surrounded by witnesses, especially in a state where the motorcyclist wasn't doing anything wrong. If it isn't bumper-to-bumper, there usually isn't enough reason to be doing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
Dang, I had to watch that video quite a few times to see if there was any way to have avoided that crash. The only thing the motorcyclists should/could have done was to do an emergency stop as soon as the truck began to signal. Of course, paying attention helps too. The other thing is, that truck moved pretty quickly to merge in front of the semi. He had space in front of him, but instead of doing a more gradual lane change, it almost looked like he was trying to cut off the motorbike. Check out how close he would have been to the front of the semi if the truck had been able to complete the lane change. That semi would have been right on top of him (the truck).

To answer the question, I do it all the time. I agree with Alex too. Gotta watch out for the empty spaces. People have this need to fill gaps in traffic. Even if it makes no sense and the lane is moving slower than the one they're in, they get this irresistible urge to fill the void.
If there was a signal, it was too late. Also, the truck could have been moving over because it was likely his last easy opportunity before the next exit ramp. I doubt it was for no reason, but the reason is irrelevant: See a gap? Watch out for someone moving into it! See many gaps in a short period of time? Traffic is probably not slow enough to be safely lane-splitting. Move into one and stop risking your neck to get ahead.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote