View Single Post
Old February 28th, 2018, 10:41 PM   #11
corksil
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
That should work to get softer spring. How much softer can be calculated by drawing pivots of dogbones, knuckle and swingarm-length. Due to variable-leverage ratios of the linkages, 6mm at shock can translate to 18-24mm change at rear-wheel depending upon which section of stroke.
My calculations have determined that I have a 9.5k spring. Called racetech today and they confirmed lots of my figuring. Softest spring they sell is 8.5k, which seems like my best option with the shorter links [to retain proper ride height].

8.5k spring may still put me out of the dampening/valving sweet spot, but if I have to tear down the shock for purpose of replacing the bump stop anyways -- I could re-do the shim stack to compensate.

Do you know the math on how I could calculate optimal spring rate? Racetech figured an 8.3 or 8.2 spring would be ideal, and the 8.5k spring they want to sell me is much shorter so it would give me better preload options. Best compromise.

How do I calculate the optimal spring rate?

Thank you very much for your help. I mean that.