View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2018, 09:46 PM   #1
Fifthwheelman
2-18 wheels

Name: Bradley

Motorcycle(s): ‘04 Kawasaki Ninja 250 “Baroness”

I did a thing...and learned.

So here we are some more than others learning things, things like: how long is too long a ride? How cold is too cold? How windy is too windy? That being said it’s story time alternate title “how I was an idiot and lived” the date is September 29 and 30 2018. And I was asked to return to Illinois from Ohio to assist an elderly relative. Now that particular Saturday was not windy but it was cold around 55 I think and I knew it was a 4 1/2 hour drive about from Dayton Ohio to Champaign Illinois, I was looking for gas mileage and declined to drive my suv there and back, a quick overnight bag was packed a pre ride check performed and I was off layered up as I was the first hour was not terrible by hour 3 I was miserable but determined. I-70 west to Indy and then I-74 west to Champaign was the route selected. I learned how to ride on the interstate, pass semis and shift position as the pocket seams in my jeans made a spirited attempt at carving into my rump. Cold ride there but uneventful.
Now it is Sunday early afternoon beginning the trek home much warmer this day was a balmy 70 ish but oh so windy. I-74 leaving Champaign 40 miles from the Indiana border I joined the eastbound traffic head held high until we reached 70Mph I chose to pass a slower semi no other traffic in left lane wind straight from the south (my right) I chose the right side of the left lane. Upon breaking the plane of front bumper the wind again reached me I went from right side of left lane to left shoulder and over the rumble strip...butt pucker. 7 white knuckle miles I made it to an exit and left the interstate instead opting for route 136 to Indy and route 40 home. Took near 6 hours much less windy. But safer for my overly ambitious skill level. The next day I had a neck ache from helmet vs wind and a sore bum. But I lived and got near triple gas mileage vs suv. Now windy days scare me or perhaps I just pay more attention to a previously disregarded weather factor.

Thanks for reading my poor attempt at a story. Ps it’s all true.