View Single Post
Old October 6th, 2018, 06:09 AM   #32
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Work ethics discussion aside, the main reason that Japanese Big Four do not market small displacement adventure type bikes in the US is because the lack of demand.

I think the idea that "bigger is better" still is quite popular in the US market.
Most people still want big pickup trucks, supersized fries, XXL drinks and large engine displacement on motorcycles.

Until gas prices go up significantly, demand for small engine vehicle is not likely to increase enough for the Japanese Big Four to start producing them or market them with significant effort.

I bought a Chinese 250cc scooter back in 2008, the last time gas prices went up significantly. $1499 shipped to my driveway in a crate.

Likely, it was never put together with great pride, but the little scooter still runs nicely to this day, with 18k miles on odometer.
I never had to clean the carb, I stopped changing the sparkplug and adjusting the valves 3 years ago, change the oil, check the drivebelt annually, beyond that add fuel, air to tires and just run it.

With my limited mechanical knowledge, I have no fear of getting a bike or scooter shipped to me in a crate, having to take it apart to prep it before riding it.
Personally, I think I'm careful enough to put it back together and fasten everything to safely standards of my own.
I don't expect these Chinese bikes to perform like large displacement Japanese built machines, and I don't compare them neither.
I operate the Chinese machines well within their limits and my expectations.

So far, with my experience, they have been reliable machines, easy to operate, very little to go wrong and easy to work with.
I don't doubt that Zongshen bikes can be much different.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote