View Single Post
Old August 31st, 2013, 07:53 PM   #74
Thorgrim
War Hippie

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): CB500F

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
what if you have three sticks connected with chains?
Then you're an advanced gung-fu student, or crazy, or both. I have enough trouble with two sticks.

For those serious about nunchaku as something more than a party trick, get some heavy ones in white oak or some similar tough, dense wood (rosewood, etc. is overkill). When you start actually striking things with them you'll find out that they recoil in odd directions until you learn to pull back at the instant of impact to deaden the momentum and those made of light wood are harder to control in that regard. Otherwise it's teeth, knees and nutz time. A good teacher can show you that they're most useful as a "compliance tool" as the LEOs term it - you can put a bone-crushing wristlock on someone using almost no force when you know how. I mean quite literally bone crushing, too, the leverage you have is incredible especially with the octagonal cross-sectioned nunchakus so if you're going to experiment on your own without a skilled teacher to guide you please be very, very careful you don't break your toys (i.e., your friends. Make that ex-friends if you break them.)
Thorgrim is offline   Reply With Quote