View Single Post
Old November 3rd, 2016, 04:17 PM   #12
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Bummer, that was a clean-looking 2007, last of the classic-gen bikes. I'd buy it from you if there was a reasonable way to get it to Dallas.

Remember, there's plenty of room for negotiation on your settlement with her insurance company. It's pretty common for the adjuster to make a first low-ball offer to you, and you're completely free to reject it.

Things that the offer should include:

Market value for your bike in the condition it was before the crash. Looks completely new, so probably over 2K. Clean pregens are getting rarer'n hen's teeth.

Something for gear that was damaged, including scrapes and scuffs on the helmet, tears and abrasions on your jacket and pants, gloves, boots, etc.

Medical. You should be reimbursed for a trip to the doctor to make sure everything's ok.

Some nominal amount to cover the time and aggravation you've spent (and are going to spend) dealing with this whole situation.

Options you have include letting the insurance co take the bike, or keeping the bike and getting a deduction on your payout checks (one check for the bike, one check for everything else), then fixing the bike to ridable condition. Or, you can keep the bike and part it out, likely generating some cash in the process. Me? If the forks aren't bent I'd fix it up and ride it ASAP, get through the first year of riding when most crashes happen, then sell or part it out.

I think you're in NC? Here's a 2007 in SC that's only $700 (that you could probably talk him down on) that would have most parts needed to get yours back on the road in good condition:

http://columbia.craigslist.org/cto/5853266987.html

Here's a clean 2006, asking $2,400, this is an example of comparables that you would use to justify a settlement amount you'd be happy with.

http://greensboro.craigslist.org/mcy/5817189964.html

Remember, part of the settlement would include the costs needed to go get a comparable bike. For instance, if the nearest 2007 you could find in comparable condition was 450 miles away, then the cost of getting that bike to you would be part of the value of the comparable.

Good luck, get back on the horse as soon as you can, don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things, etc...
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.