View Single Post
Old November 4th, 2016, 07:42 PM   #25
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

Her insurance will cover the medical, don't worry about that at all. Also, this bike is your only transportation? If you're 18 or over they'll cover a rent car as well. Call tomorrow and get that rent car on the way to you.

Any gear that's damaged they should pay to replace, especially the helmet. They don't fix helmets, and they would only recommend fixing wearables if they were rare and/or expensive, such as a full set of leathers. Make a list of replacement costs for the gear that needs replacing, same make and models of what was damaged at prices offered in your local motorcycle stores. Insurance pays on replacement cost, not depreciated cost, for stuff like gear.

On the bike, there's a fair to middlin' chance the frame is bent, it would take some measurements before I'd consider rebuilding it. I'm surprised you were able to ride that at all with things bent like that.

Book value is just one consideration. It is a weighted average of what they've sold for before, not what they're selling for today. I suggest you look at comparable bikes currently for sale and compile a list, print out the ads, go out about 300 miles. The average of those will likely be above book by a little bit. Have that knowledge already worked out when they make the offer, don't just blow them off. Remember, the offer will include two amounts, one for the bike, and one for all the stuff like gear and the doctor visit. The rental car will be good until the day that you and they reach an agreement and you accept the offer. Be polite and civil, and be rational. Don't worry about cutting the other driver a break, that's what insurance is for is to make you whole again.

And your description of the tank indentation...circumstances...makes me clench a bit. I'm glad that wasn't more serious. A friend of mine did the same thing to her tank except it split her pelvis into several pieces and put her out of commission for the best part of a year.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.