View Single Post
Old September 3rd, 2011, 05:35 AM   #41
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
Including my near misses, of which there have been far too many over the years, my top lessons learned:

1. Don't override my stopping distance. If I can't see more than 66 feet in front of me, don't go faster than 40. If there is a potential hazard 35 feet in front of me, I slow down to 30.
2. Small increases in speed mean large increases in stopping distance. When in doubt choose safe over looking cool.
3. Never have sex with super hot race promotion girls on your ninja while doing hotlaps. Ok, that never happened but it would be dangerous.
4. Don't take for granted that my road will be a clean, hazard free surface, even if it was yesterday. If I can ride at 90% of the bike's potential on the track, dial it back to 50% on the street to account for unexpected things that don't happen on the track.
5. Similarly, never assume that a car is going to act rationally. Instead, ride with paranoia that every car is going to do everything it can to kill me.
6. When I am being chased by paparazzi because of how awesome and famous I am, be sure not to go through those tunnels under Paris at super high speed. No, wait, that was Princess Di, not me. Nevermind.
7. All the gear, all the time.
8. Analyze each ride for what went right and wrong. Keep learning.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote