View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2019, 07:05 PM   #5
1MNeary
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 19 grom

FIXED

For anyone who has this issue, here’s what happened on my bike.

First problem, previous owner cut the snorkel back to much which causes the intake hose to sit incorrectly in the airbox, after inspecting the box the hose was kinked which limited the air to the carbs.

Second problem, like an newb I didn’t gap the plugs correctly and the gap on the plugs was about .022 (suppose to be .030-.040). I assume the combination or running rich and to small of a gap(weak spark) caused the plugs to foul out. High rpms would result in more fuel but not more air due to the kinked hose, and apparently the spark was still strong enough to burn the fuel off up until 8000rpm when the amount of fuel coming in could no longer be efficiently burned off by the weakened spark. Apparently 800-1000 miles is now long it took to foul the plug explaining why it ran well for a little while.

Potential third problem, the cylinder 1 coil was very loose and was probably vibrating at high rpm. Don’t know if this could cause a miss or not but i tightened it up before test riding so I added it in as an issue corrected.

I installed the new plugs at a .037 gap because I know it may be running rich, I will report back if the issue returns but right now it is running amazing, I was probably down 3-5hp the whole time I have owned it because it is way faster now than it has been since I bought it.

Side note. The first set of ngk cr8e plugs I installed came gapped at .022 and the set I just installed came gapped to .030, seems this is a lesson of never trust the plug gap out of the box the gap plug to plug isn’t even that consistent.
1MNeary is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.