View Single Post
Old June 6th, 2022, 03:00 PM   #21
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Might as well do steering bearings. At least just bottom that takes most load. Both top & bottom might make steering little too heavy and vague. I prefer just bottom and keep balls on top. Or you can return and just clean & regrease what's in there now. Saves having to pound out old and in new bearing races/cups.

Front wheel bearings take more load than anything else. They don't have suspension to cushion bumps like steering bearings do. Also grease quality makes HUGE difference. I prefer to carefully pry off seal, wash out original little amount of grease and pack it full of Mobil-1 full-synthetic grease (pink-stuff). Then clean and repack grease every other chain+sprocket swap. Original front-wheel bearings are still going strong on my VFR-750 which is at 96k-miles now!

In contrast, original bearings on those vRossi wheels someone imported couple years ago only lasted couple hundred miles! I got a set for super good price because of that. Luckily bearings hadn't disintegrated yet, just completely dry! Packed it full of M1 grease and they've been fine past 5-yrs on track. About 50k-miles now.

BTW - make sure inner spacer between bearings have tight fit so bearings don't face too much lateral load.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote