View Single Post
Old November 24th, 2011, 10:45 AM   #78
highpsiguy
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda Cx500 Custom, 2002 Ninja 250

Tunnel closest to the top of highest point on road between Gatlinburg Tenn and Cherokee N.C. Freak snowstorm happened as me and my previous wife were camping in Gatlinburg Tenn. Had to go up mountain to get home. Snow began at higher elevations. Blizzard at top. I passed row of about 50 parked cars * including Ranger*. He hit siren and I kept going. I saw flare, but was frozen cold out of my mind. Hit ice right away and did a 180. I remember saying to myself... self your bike is going backwards. I put both feet down and made it about 20 feet before losing it. Somehow ended up standing on engine with one foot as I hit the wall 2 to 3 times. Wifes leg trapped under bike. She never hit wall, I don't know how. I was 19, 20 years old. To date worst wreck. Ended up ridng bike home.... still ride the bike 23 years later- owned same bike 27 years. Wifes leg black and blue. Ranger banned me forever for riding in Smokey Mountain Park.. too busy helping other wrecks to ticket me. Let me sit there for about an hour before he let us go. True story. I was just a kid, stupid mistake....educations can be expensive. Glad Ranger forgot me as it is one of my favorite roads