View Single Post
Old July 10th, 2014, 02:27 PM   #18
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by xorbe View Post
I saw your post at cbr250 forum. It's not the first thread there on that topic. I don't recall the other threads having a definitive answer.

Maybe a suddenly failed neutral or kickstand or tilt or kill switch? Did you try turning the key off and back on before attempting to restart?

Both the CBR250R and the Ninja 300 (even post 2014 ecu fix) have too many reports of engine stalls out of the blue. The Kawasaki ECU update seems to have cured most people, but still some lingering reports. You never see threads like these in the CBR500 forum.
I never thought there was a link between the 250's overheating CDI reading RPMs incorrectly and the strange stalls people were experiencing, but now I wonder.

Kawasaki never officially updated them, though I bet they silently added a QA check since reports of the tach error dropped off over the years. It was never even acknowledged AFAIK. People had to prove there was a problem to their dealer and get it replaced under warranty though most, including myself, never bothered (during my warranty period the replacement was just as likely to have the issue and there seemed to be no issue other than bad RPM reading when hot).

I was one of the early J-model riders to get the unexpected stall with an engine that doesn't start until you wait long enough or open the fuel door. Over many thousands of miles I am confident that mine and many others are caused by a vacuum forming in the tank which is much more likely to happen after the tank has warmed significantly before riding it off. I have yet to hear of a CDI problem causing similar stalls, but there are some outliers that don't seem to be easily explained by "tank vacuum."
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote