View Single Post
Old June 28th, 2012, 07:20 PM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjyang View Post
Yup, that me the sprocket cover does have the same bolt location so I swap the 08+ onto my 86-87. I suspect the clutch and other engine cover can swap over also but have not try it yet. However, I do know the cylinder head casting where the front engine mount is located are different layout on the 08+ so you can't swap engines with 08+ model. If it was the same, one could graft the frame slider for 08+ on to older models.

On rear shock the 86-87 does have preload adjustment, on 88-07 models they remove that feature and bring it back on 08+ models. The original shock is pretty useless when new and utter crap by now as you can't rebuild them. Swap on a 08+ shock is good idea but if you like to keep your bike for the long term, investing in a good aftermarket rebuildable shock is a good idea. I got a Fox twin clicker shock and its day and night difference compared to stock.
Hmm. Might explain why the cheapest BIN result for "EX250 shock" on eBay is an '86 shock.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote