View Single Post
Old November 19th, 2019, 05:42 AM   #53
willi777
ninjette.org member

Name: Willie

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 500, VFR750

I was taken out on my VFR-750 back in 1993 by a drunken driver- broke my spine in 4 places, collapsed lung, right foot pointing 90 degrees from straight. They did 4 ops over a months time, i couldn't eat, dropped 35 lbs, was only 150 to begin with... the surgeon made me wait 3 years before any physical activity- because he knew i'd be right back on a bike.
Set your mind that you wanna be 100%, but give your body the time and rest it needs to heal. We put too much emphasis on time, but it doesn't matter in the end. I developed more patience than i could have imagined from this injury, and getting healed up is so much more important that the time it takes.
I was 25 in 1993, made a pretty incredible recovery, but those injuries still nag me. I ride when i can, but rest my back when it hurts, and then i ride again... don't be hard on yourself, on your body- it will recover, but it's the mental attitude that's the most important component. Tell yourself you will be 100%, but let your body tell you when it's ready for 100%, it has to last you another 50 yrs or so. I am 51 now, still riding, but if i didn't give my body the time it needed to heal, i don't think i would still be able to ride.
willi777 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.