View Single Post
Old July 17th, 2017, 12:07 PM   #19
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I got home Saturday afternoon after the long trek back from Ohio. ALan and went to Michigan to visit the Ford Museum and Greenfield for a couple of days.

The Vetter Challenge had 12 riders including 3 electric motos, 3 streamliners , and 2 partially streamlined motos. Beating the electric bikes is tough since the Vetter Challenge is won by the lowest cents/mile rather than miles/gallon. After lots of rain we had a perfect day for riding on our 94 mile course ( Bellview to Wooster to Loudonville to Mid-Ohio to Bellview). It was a wonderful ride and I was optimistic about another good performance. After topping off the tank I found I had used only 0.4 gallons of gasoline to go the 94 miles for a result of 235 mpg! I was astounded. I know I rode well, maximizing every opportunity to go far as I could with least amount of fuel consumed but I suspect some other factors may have played a role ( heated fuel expansion, topping off error). Still all in all, a great run. After the electric motos calculated their usage I was determined the overall winner at 0.97 cents/mile.

Other highlights were getting to meet @snot and Jason and visit with them at the Vintage Days .I also hoped to meet the legendary motorcycle whisperer @csmith12 but I failed to make the connection. We also got to be part of a panel of seminar presenters about the Vetter Challenge, motorcycle fuel economy and aerodynamic streamlining.
I had a great time and am already forward to next year
all the best, GA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Vetter Challenge MO 2017.jpg (110.0 KB, 9 views)

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.