View Single Post
Old January 28th, 2018, 06:07 PM   #1
Joppedo
ninjette.org member

Name: Randy

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250

Almost 30k miles and cam chain time.

Well my new home here in Florida and my commute on the bike is 40 miles a day. I got the ticking noise and it drove me mad and i new it was one of two things. Tensioner or chain. So i bought a ape manual chain tensioner till i could get it open and fixed. The bike runs as good as it did the day i bought it new so a no case split was gonna happen. I bought valve cover gasket, clutch cover gasket, two courts of oil. new clutch plates and springs. And after tons of phone calls went with hot cams cam chain. Hc92rh210 126 link. These chains are not pressed at the ends on the pins to the point u damage them taking them out. In fact when i broke the chain open you can use normal hand pressure on the chain breaker without the t handle and the pins pop right out. So i removed the two pins making it a 124 link chain. I removed the old chain and fed the open ended new one down and back up over the crank gear. I did remove the cams to make this easy for me. Connecting the links back i gave a quick tap on the the one end to secure it from moving out and button her all back up. Ive put about 300 miles on her and shes back as good as new. Now I will admit i havnt ever used the manual tensioner before so this was a HUGE learning curve for me. Even after the cam chain i could hear something going on but didn't want to tighten it up more for fear of to tight. I dont have that I can feel it thats perfect mechanic feel for it. So here is what i did to learn. I put back in the automatic one ran the bike around the block to make sure it was set in place. I grabbed a bolt that fits in the back of it 1 1/2 inches long with a locking nut.
Joppedo is offline   Reply With Quote