View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:19 PM   #18
Momaru
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysterioX View Post
Would it work if I just got a carb cleaner and using a small plastic tube sprayed the cleaner directly into the jets without removing them?
I'm sure there's other screwdrivers that'll work, that's just what I happened to have on hand that fit the bill for the job.

If you're looking at clogged jets, I'd think long & hard about just pulling the carbs & giving them a proper cleaning. There's lots of little passages in the carb body that may also be clogged; pulling the jets won't get them. An air compressor is your best friend for that kind of job.

From my experience, the carb cleaner won't clear the kinda gunk that builds up in our carbs (or mine at least). I pulled my pilots and soaked them in the stuff for half an hour with no appreciable change when I had that problem earlier this year. Does great for cleaning off the standard road crud though.

And I've got one of those lateral screwdrivers. Bought it for the same job. I didn't have much luck because I couldn't get enough pressure at the right angle on it to keep from chewing up the screws.

Both ideas are worth a go though, you may have better luck with them. Only thing you're likely to lose is a little money on tools/cleaners that are handy to have anyway and some time trying to do the jobs the 'easy way' before trying it the 'hard way'