View Single Post
Old April 3rd, 2017, 04:15 AM   #12
Norway
ninjette.org member

Name: S n 0 r r £
Location: Stjoerdal, Norway (San Diego, CA, USA, 2015-2016 , Bielefeld, Nordrhein Westfalen,Germany 2021-'22)

Motorcycle(s): TMZ 5.952 "Tula" 200, Ninja 250 -Special ed. '11, ZZR 1400 (ZX14), Honda CB 1100 F Super Bol D'or

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgx107 View Post
I have had the same experience on two occassions. First when I hadn't cleaned the air filter in maybe 30 000 km (yes, my bike doesn't get enough attention). You might want to double check the workshops work, and I also think that on roads like ours the filter can fill up quickly with dirt. Especially in winter, with lots of grease and sludge.

The second experience is right now, I have a problem with the charging so voltage is low. I thought it was the battery so replaced it, it wasn't the battery but the bike ran stronger for a while. So check your charging voltage, it's a simple test. The ECU should compensate for lower voltage but it seems it doesn't fully, or quickly enough when the voltage varies due to bad charging.

There are people reporting improved performance after valve adjustment, I don't understand how. When adjusting the valves you normally make them looser, meaning less valve lift and less duration. But we are talking very small differences, maybe 0.1 mm lower lift. In any case, the bike would be very slightly slower after adjustment at least at high revs.

A third possibility is that the spark plugs are worn out, you don't mention them. The original plugs shouldn't last more than 40000 km. The manual says to replace them every 12000 km.
Several good suggestions have been provided. Spark plugs were replaced at least once on this 250R, so they are hopefully ok.
The air filter was also changed not long ago, though you can never be 100 % sure unless you saw it happen. Anyway, I can't say that I mistrust the repair shop.
Once had a ZX 11 run better after valve and carburator adjustments, but don't know exactly what made it run better afterwards.. Could maybe be the carbs,
as the bike used to "gargle" a little bit before it came with improved power.
I haven't been riding the bike since november / december, before taking it out on last Friday. The road conditions are generally not good, and of course it's a lot of sludge, snow, salt and dirt on many of our roads. Air humidity is also 78 % at the moment. I live further north than for example Anchorage, so unfortunately we have lots of ****** weather. So, air filters should have many possibilities to become filled with dirt.
Several things I should check..
All in all, I'm very pleased with the 250R.
Norway is offline   Reply With Quote