View Single Post
Old January 10th, 2023, 03:02 PM   #51
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

well, I got a new shim-kit of the correct size again... from AHL this time... it took 2 weeks to arrive but it did get here...and they are the right diameter !
I measured each valve lash and wrote it down then took the cam's off and now I could get the original shim's out and measure them for each valve...
doing one valve at a time so I would not screw up and get things mixed up I did the addition and then subtraction of the value I wanted and it gave me the shim size I was to replace the stock shim with.... I did all that and then started re assembling it...
got the timing correct as close as I can figure, put the cam bearing caps on and then torqued them down with my handy dandy new slit stop torque wrench from Harbor freight tools... it was in Nm and inch pounds so I used inch pounds and torqued everything down above the valves....
then came the test to see if I did the valves correctly or not sense #2 was still at TDC I checked it and it was at .009 ex and 4~6 intake... rolled it over and checked cylinder #1
and got virtually the same reading so I am happy with that....
the only thing I am worried about is the valve timing as neither cam lines up like the book says.... but it does look like when I took it apart so I think it's good to go !
...the lesson here is to get #2 cylinder at TDC and take a good 3 or 4 pictures of the cam positions simply because they do not line up like the book says they should one is a bit down and the other is a bit up.... their not straight across and flush with the surface of the head ....THEY DO NOT DO THAT ! ....so lesson learned.

now it's just reassembly.... or should be...we'll see how long that takes me to get done.... I have a feeling it won't be quick as I hate working on that ninja as everything is so crammed in there you cannot get to anything ! ....anyway....
it's getting closer !!!!
Bob......