View Single Post
Old November 13th, 2023, 05:42 PM   #19
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
I would put a gauge on the line to check fuel pressure.

More than any other part I've heard of, aftermarket fuel pumps tend to be bad, mostly because they do not provide adequate fuel pressure to the injector.
I might be dealing with this in my van right now. My fuel pump has been screaming like a banshee since the shop needlessly replaced it last year… all because I told them to IGNORE the broken fuel sender that they used to excuse themselves from a much-needed test drive after a previous service (claimed my tank was empty).

The new pump is sometimes so loud I have to shut the van off to communicate in the drive thru. More than once other people likened the ringing sound to the one EVs and hybrids make at low speed to alert pedestrians… and I had the exact same thought independently (before). The shop refuses to acknowledge anything is wrong as long as it’s still pumping even though I have a P0171 lean code that wasn’t there before. I thought I finally fixed it a week ago when I found a pinhole in a vacuum cap but I replaced it and the problem came back last night (P0171 + check engine light). The noisy fuel pump or a bad fuel pressure regulator is the next most likely culprit. If it isn’t pushing enough fuel then, yes, it will run lean.

They claim the noise is because they tried to save me money with a cheap pump and “cheap pumps are just noisy.” but that was a lie. I dug up my receipt and found that they charged me EXACTLY what Rock Auto charges for an OEM fuel pump from GM ($210 part only), which is an order of magnitude more than the “cheap” ones on the same site. Confirmed: These guys sold me a cheap pump I didn’t want or need at an OEM price, pocketed the difference, and can’t even claim the markup is for “sh*t happens” warranty/overhead since they won’t stand behind it.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote