Old April 11th, 2022, 05:19 PM   #178
racered
ninjette.org member

Name: paul

Motorcycle(s): not enough

Help please

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
I did variation of this upgrade because I wanted to test pre-gen ignitor boxes on my new-gen race bikes to see if there were any performance enhancements to be had from different ignition curves. I chose to use Y-splices into harness so I can switch back & forth between factory '08 new-gen boxes or pre-gen boxes easily. I had spare 2003 ignitor and pigtails from my storage-unit bikes-in-boxes purchase.

First I laid connectors end-to-end with new-gen connector to determine where on harness to Y-splice in.

Then I removed 3-4mm of insulation from existing harness wiring.

Next, tightly wrap end of matching wire from pre-gen pigtail onto harness wire.

Then solder for mechanically strong and electrically conductive joint.

Repeat with remaining wires an wrap with electrical tape.

One master layer of electrical tape to make it neat and reduce damage from shaking and vibration

DONE! Pre-gen ignitor can just barely be squeezed between mounting posts on new-gen fender. You can see connector for new-gen ignitor is right there for easy and quick swapping of ignitor boxes. Don't try using them both at same time!
I have soldered the pre gen pigtails onto my new gen harness. The colorcodes match, and looking at these pics, the position of the wires in each pre gen connector are the same, but the pre gen ignition box I have #21119-1229 does not have a spade terminal in position for the the grn wire or the blk wire (to ignition coils) in the connectors to attach.
Here is a pic of the module:IMG_0001 (2).jpg
Has anyone encountered this and re positioned the grn and the blk wires?
I might try cranking the engine and checking output on the two empty spades for a switching ground, I suppose I could just move the two wires to the spades, 50/50 might start or smoke.
racered is offline   Reply With Quote