View Single Post
Old August 20th, 2014, 08:40 AM   #48
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducati999 View Post
Based on your description you handled it well enough. you did not crash but there is still a lot of skill you need to develop. First thing, use the front brake more and the rear less. During a panic stop the fork compresses and weight transfers forward due to decelleration. this causes the rear to lift (or get light) which reduces the tires foot print on the road and allows a small amount of brake pressure to lock the rear wheel which is what caused the rear to swing out as you described. Using both brakes is the fastest way to stop but you must practice "panic" stops from higher speeds (in a safe enviroment) to develop the skills not to lock the rear and still modulate the front brake. The front tire will take an incredible amount of brake force (if not applied abruptly) and most riders do not apply half the possible load to the front brake that is possible. Practice Practice Practice stopping hard with just the front brake and with both front and rear. I have read this entire thread and you have made great progress. Having said that i would like to warn you that when newer riders start to feel more confident and things start to feel natural is when you are more vulnerable than when you first started. As you have stated you are now starting to "test" her power and speed and at the same time you are feeling more comfortable so you are not so "edgy" while riding. This is when you are most likely to be caught going a little too fast for your skill level and get caught out. Keep your head on a swivel and never stop watching and assuming everything/everybody is going to try to kill you. You have gained some really valuable skills but remember you are still learning and danger can come anywhere anytime. Untill all these skills become muscle memory and automatic you are still at risk. Keep practicing and posting and ride safe!
Thank you.
One of the things I remind myself everytime I get on her is how much I still have to learn. I have had a few people tell me that I should've started on a 600 as I'll outgrow the 250 in a season or two. Without going into this rather asinine debate, I am just going to say that I am glad that I did get a 250. The amount of power this "beginner" motorcycle has is, for me, absolutely incredible.

One thing I discovered that it's ridiculously easy to go fast. I know, it's more of 'of course it's like that' thing but I think it's something that you have to experience than get it from someone else. Like you said, having lost the fear of riding, I do sometimes find myself being carried away by the sight of an empty near empty road. However I do try my best to not get carried away.

As far as braking is concerned, I do practice it once in a while. Since I am preparing for my M1 exit, more often than usual. I have noticed something unusual about my front brake though[I'll make a separate thread for it though].

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
To add a little something to Ducati's comments, I would say, try not to pull the clutch when braking... Let the engine compression help you decelerating...

Maybe I'm wrong here, but when pulling the clutch, you "free" the motorcycle from the engine compression and it can unsettle the motorcycle by giving it some forward moment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
We teach to use all 4 controls during the ebrake drill during the msf. Both brakes, pulling clutch and a downshift. Also, during a "situation", one may still have some amount of positive throttle. Pulling the clutch will take that possibility out of the equation.
Interesting