View Single Post
Old March 11th, 2018, 05:38 AM   #9
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lights are 100% done. Wiring and everything. It's a beautiful thing to be able to see, even though the headlights are 22.5" off the ground.

Low beams:

High beams:

Fog lights:

Little demo to see how it all works. I made my own fog light harness. 2 relays; 1 NO for dashboard switching, 1 NC for high beam interlock because there's really no good reason to run fogs and high beams on a road car. The demon eye marker lights shut off when the headlights come on.

Link to original page on YouTube.

For anyone who farts around with car headlighting, I learned that ground switched headlights are a thing. Instead of a common ground with a separate high for the low and high filament, there's a common hot with a separate ground for each filament.

Also, my high beam indicator on the dash is switched through the low filament similar to how blinking corner markers typically are wired to flash across an incandescent turn signal bulb. Problem solved with 30 ohms of resistor that's capable of dissipating 100W of heat. My car thinks there's a bulb there and my high beam indicator works!

Pro Tip: industrial strength adhesive backed velcro is amazing stuff for securing drivers/ballasts. 3M plastic hooks work really well for securing wiring loom.

choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote