Old December 4th, 2017, 02:01 PM   #137
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
In practice, you're in the target gear before tip-in and not looking at the dash. There's a lot going on... you're also braking and looking for reference points, and it's all happening RIGHT NOW.

The timing of your downshifts matters. There's precious little time to realize you've goofed and correct...

The indicator gives you a check long before you get there, should it be necessary.

It's like this:

130 on the straight. Pass your brake marker and load the lever lightly, Five, four.......tha-reee as you increase pressure, look for your marker, tip in and progressively reduce brake pressure (trail brake), look for the exit and roll on....

All about as fast as it takes you to read that.

You don't have time to go five, four... oh wait a minute, did I miss a shift or click it twice? Was I in sixth? Um...

because

HOLY CRAP I'M IN THE CORNER....

This is why people run off.
And I don't see anywhere in there you looked down at your display to see what gear you are in.

For me on the track I think it would look more like:

"130 on the straight. Pass your brake marker and load the lever lightly, Five, four.......tha-reee as you increase pressure, look to make sure I am in the right gear, what is it oh there, yeah I'm in 3rd,OK good, look up and OH $%^&$^&$ I'm going off the track......."

The good news is it should be pretty easy for me to ignore it. And if it's there and I want to use it at some point I can. So I guess I don't see a harm in having a gear indicator. Having it or not having it isn't going to make a difference when I decide to buy a bike.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote