View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2018, 02:32 PM   #24
KikRox
ninjette.org member

Name: Nein

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250r se

Quote:
Originally Posted by RcTechnologies View Post
Absolutely right Misti. I have a little 12" pit bike that I learned to ride on before I bought my ninja. After a year or so of riding street I went back to the pit bike (wore out my tires IIRC) for a week or two. When I got back on my jette, I somehow magically reached "the next level". I would attribute the skill gain to,
a) realizing that the bike just simply will NOT fall over when at speed
b) learned to ride the bike, not the bars-a pit bike is a 15hp bicycle basically, VERY sensitive to bar input.
c) and getting comfortable with the tires sliding all over the place from sand and gravel etc

I also somewhat recall breaking a really bad rookie habit of fixating on every little road discrepancy such as the 2" tar snake or the little pebble or leaf in the road.

awesome times, in fact, I think im gonna go fuel that little pit bike back up tomorrow and see what else she will teach me.
That's funny you say this, I as well feel gained a new perspective on traction and feeling the acceptable amount of loss within the bike via pit bikes. Do 10 laps in dirt on a pitbike then hit the street. Suddenly your ass end sliding around a bit doesn't bother you it becomes a method of control. When you get the bike into a slide there's a choice, stay on it and let that wheel roast or pray to whatever god it doesn't catch sideways and catapult you. Which without doubt it will do to you on a pit bike. it just subconsciously trained me to do the opposite of what terror dictates and that's stiffen up lock your line of sight and let off the throttle (sometimes going for breaks) pushing your intertia forward completely damning you to a future of immediate pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Heard at the track this past weekend:

"A highside is just a lowside where you chop the throttle."

Discuss.

@csmith12 @Misti @Sirref

As far as a high side being a low side where you chopped the throttle I agree in some instances yeah totally. Other times its just that your mid corner in the apex you hit some left over bits of whatever rubber maybe glazzing and even if your trigger fingers don't twitch there's no saving you. Coming in way to hot on a bad angle produces the same fate.

An example, you come into a corner gravey lean angle is good centrifugal force doing its job ass end power-sliding the corner. Front tire riding its inner edge.. You hit a skip in the road, the back end hops. Its coming down with force. No fault of the rider and now you're up and over and your bikes coming after you.