View Single Post
Old February 14th, 2022, 01:27 PM   #36
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Something you could do to help get that rear brake down pat... find a large parking lot late at night where there is no body around and do your practicing there.... but start off slow say 20 mph and see how much pressure it takes on the peddle to get the rear wheel to lock up remember that pressure and try to never go any harder than that..... I did that in my younger years and it has served me well through my riding courier. problems do occur when you change tires though ...every tire out there stops differently meaning you need to test each tire ! .... I got up to 50mph in doing my stoping practice and keeping the rear wheel still turning under extremely hard breaking it would leave short patches of black on the pavement not a continuous length and yes ...you do stop much much faster that way.....
I then started working on adding the front brake amd talk about stopping FAST then.... I really never used the front brake up till then.... but once I did I was keenly aware that I could stop 2 times faster than a car !
My New bike has ABS and I've yet to try and lock up the wheels on it
but that has to be the PANIC Stop Dream of the century !
.... for at least 30 years of my bike riding I set the front wheel's brake to not lock up when breaking hard ( old drum brake type) but when front disks came out I quit doing that. and found I could stop a good 10 to 15 foot shorter on those bikes ....
Seeing how fast you can stop has become a game to me and I love doing it
but it is hard on equipment ! LOL.... stopping in 30' at 60 mph to me is darn good ! i'm proud of that, but it took alot of practice to get there....
once you get it down you never loose it there is something about the pressure you feel in your foot and the deceleration that drives it home in memory.... it's not like cornering .... but be aware it takes less foot pressure to skid the rear in a hard turn.... I never really practiced that much so I just use about 3/4 of the normal pressure on the foot in the turns....
( i try to never brake in a turn but in a panic situation 3/4 is max)
hope that helps.....
Bob..