View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #179
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiniCog View Post
Agreed. I tried it but don't really like it. If the wind gets annoying enough, I have at-least 20 pairs stuffed in a pocket of my tank bag.
I'm not judging anyone FOR wearing them or NOT wearing them. Different strokes for different folks. I happen to be a folk who doesn't really care for ear plugs all that much. And I have my reasons.

Another reason why I won't wear ear plugs in a machine shop - communication and listening. I know, people are going to rag on me for saying this, but although the BOX says that you can still hear people with them in your ears... You really can't. And you can't hear an endmill or a drill or a tap going dull. I tried wearing them, an endmill got dull on the final set up for some fork braces, broke the $100 end mill and ruined the $120 part just because I did not hear all the sounds the endmill was making.
I was riding with ear plugs in, couldn't hear a sound my engine was making while I was riding. Took them out at a gas station, heard it, pulled over, there was a piece of a plastic bag in my chain. That could have turned out really bad.

Simply put, I have had bad experiences with ear plugs, and my helmet is quiet enough that I don't need them as bad as others. I've tried some other helmets out and they were much louder than mine.

That's my .
do what you want... it's your ears. just be aware that people who didn't use earplugs years ago in industrial environments are the ones, today, with hearing problems.

Hearing loss is something that gradually happens. By the time you realize your affected, it's too late. Riding without earplugs during sustained riding WILL affect your hearing.

What you do with that information is entirely up to you. My post was to warn riders who really weren't aware of hearing loss due to riding w/o earplugs that their hearing is being affected.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote