View Single Post
Old February 23rd, 2015, 07:44 PM   #29
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Ok. Now that I am out of work and have some spare time, I can type a better reply. I have only been riding for about 5 months and I am not too far ahead of you. I recommend that you start off with the MSF course if you can. It taught me basics that I overlooked when I "taught" myself to ride. I am glad that I started on a 250. During my learning, I made many mistakes that could have gotten me seriously injured or killed on a 600+ bike. I also recommend you get your self a New and Unused helmet, and all your safety riding gear.

As far as getting bored, not at all. I enjoy riding and I strive to learn every skill on the 250. I have heard the phrase "It is better to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow." I am not saying that it is slow because the 250 will pick up very fast but it's not a super sports bike. Yes there are days when I wish I had a newer bike or that it went faster but then days pass by when I don't get to ride it, and when I FINALLY get on it again and open the throttle all the way, I get a big smile on my face all over again.

I have been riding for about 5 months and I have not gotten anywhere near the full capacity of my bike. It handles very easily and the MPG is a plus as well. I do in the future plan to get a 600+ bike but I will also keep my 250. It all depends on your goals with your bike, some people just want to ride very fast in a straight line, others want to ride long distances, others want to learn it, race it, modify it, etc. Whatever your goal is go for it.

In my short experience, I do not regret starting on and getting a 250.