View Single Post
Old April 4th, 2012, 11:43 AM   #116
extremez31
ninjette.org member

Name: Rich

Motorcycle(s): 94 EX250, 81 GS450

I can add to this one.

Last summer I took out my 02' Monster 750 to meet up with a friend for a little road trip. On my way to meet my buddy 20 miles into the ride I was behind a large box truck keeping my distance and going approx 30 mph. Suddenly someone pulled out of a parking lot in front of him causing him to stop short.By the time I realized what was happening I was approx 30-50 feet from him and I panicked. Grabbed the front brake and then suddenly I was going down on my left side. I managed to get on my back and as the bike's sliding away from me. I remember thinking $hit, I hope the car behind me is paying attention, I completely loosened my body and prepared for a deadly impact.

Didn't let go of the bike until I was close the floor, I immediately got on my back, bent my knees and put my heels down. Wore a textile riding jacket. Wore a helmet. Kept my head off the pavement. Kept body loose in case impact.

I snowboard and am used to falling, when I fall, I dig my board broadside into the snow with my knees bent to slow down / stop. I also put my palms down, I wasn't wearing gloves and didn't feel the road eating my hands. I was also not wearing any impact protection or riding pants. This accident could have killed me. I was also wearing an open face helmet.

I walked away with road rash on my palms which took 2 weeks to heal. Minor rash on my left leg and elbow.

I should have been paying more attention to the traffic ahead, I should have not grabbed the brakes and came to a controlled stop, I did have plenty of room to stop.

I now have a full leather jacket, riding gloves, knee/shin protecters, kevlar pants, riding shorts, a full face helmet & riding boots

The damage was extensive, bars bent into tank, Tank rash and huge dent, Left rearset shattered, Shifter bent, Clutch lever and master cylinder with severe rash, rear cowl rash, Headlight rash, engine cover rash.. In total $3,300 worth of damage according to the adjuster.

Please ride safe, wear full gear.
extremez31 is offline   Reply With Quote