View Single Post
Old October 5th, 2022, 03:13 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[cycleworld.com] - How Much Power Does the 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 Make?

How much power does the 2022 Yamaha YZF-R7 produce? We place the Tuning Fork brand’s parallel-twin-powered middleweight on the Cycle World dyno to find out.

Click here to view on their site.

When first launched by Yamaha, the YZF-R7 was a highly anticipated new take on the middleweight supersport segment, and shares a powertrain with the superpopular MT-07 platform. Since, it has proved its worth as an affordable and approachable option to the segment, with a sticker price of just $8,999 for the 2022 model.

The YZF-R7 is powered by the same basic 689cc CP2 parallel-twin engine as MT-07 and XSR700 streetbike models as well as Yamaha’s Ténéré 700 adventure bike, most known for its well-mannered, yet entertaining characteristics. Specific to the YZF-R7 is an OE-fitted slipper/assist clutch, the first for a CP2 powerplant, which is said to reduce clutch pull by 20 percent while acting as a tool to reduce back torque on deceleration.

Horsepower and torque figures of the Yamaha YZF-R7 recorded on the Cycle World dyno. (Robert Martin Jr./)We ran the 2022 Yamaha YF-R7 on Cycle World’s in-house Dynojet 250i dynamometer ahead of an upcoming comparison test with the Aprilia RS 660, recording horsepower and torque measurements. The Yamaha chalked 66.32 hp at 8,610 rpm and 45.72 lb.-ft. of torque at 6,380 rpm. Peak power may be modest, but the smooth delivery and remarkably flat torque curve means flexibility in gear selection in all areas of road. Pick a gear and have immediate usable power at any rpm.

The approachability of the YZF-R7 stems far deeper than its relatively low MSRP, but can it hold up to Italian competition?