View Single Post
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:13 PM   #59
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

I've had a 650 for a few months. It's the naked 650, the ER-6n, but mechanically, same as a 650r.

Compared to an SS600, it will fall behind... eventually. If you are both in 6th gear, loafing along at 50 MPH, the 650 will pull on it. Start dropping gears, and it's game over...

From a standstill, it's pretty much a dead heat through 1st gear. Keeping the front wheel on the ground is the limiting factor. Even a 650 will lift it in 1st at full throttle. Once into 2nd gear, however, the 600 will leave it behind. It's a good 0-60 race, and the more skilled rider will likely win on either bike. From anywhere around 30 MPH on however, if in the right gear (i.e. spin it up) the 600 will leave the 650 twins behind.

All that said, if all you want to do is keep up with a friend or two on a 600, it really shouldn't be a problem on the street. Especially if they are going around half throttle. What is an all out banzai attack on a Ninjette is just a 3/4 throttle, shifting at just under 10,000 rpm event on a 650. Much easier to keep up with a more powerful bike. Just because a Ninjette can be made to keep up, doesn't mean it's pleasant. Yeah, they'll take a ride bouncing between 10-12k shifting all the time, but it's not exactly pleasant riding the crap out of it just to keep up.

The 650 really hits a sweet spot for a street bike. It's got plenty of power for "normal" riding, it's pretty inexpensive, it doesn't gulp gas (I get around 42, and ride it like I get free gas), and insurance is way cheaper than a 600 I-4 bike.

Oh yeah, you're wringing it our, not ringing it out. Sorry, grammar nazi...