Old September 22nd, 2016, 08:06 AM   #60
Racer x
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawmeracchi 350 2010 Project X

MOTM - Sep '18, Feb '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burphel View Post
Like I said, I get the history and atmosphere angle. Bonneville is just below the Isle of Man on my bucket list. But judging it purely on suitability for purpose, it was the best 100 years ago, but it seems like a purpose-built track could do better now, especially if the salt is degrading. Do you wait 10 years until you can only run dirt bikes and Jeeps on it, or do you start planning Bonneville Asphalt Flats? You might have a few old-timers saying new records don't count (until they set a new record on it). But "the fastest ever" is a title that works best if you don't try to hang qualifiers on it.
I have given this a lot of thought. This is my plan.

Step one Win a zillion dollars in the lotto.
Then buy a giant piece of property in Kansas or somplace like east Colorado. Somthing dead flat not to high in altitude and somplace that has good weather. Maybe west Texas I don't know? OK. So so now I own 100 acres of flat land and a zillion dollars.

Build a land speed racing community. Build a giant lake for boat drag racing. They are special lakes just for this somplace.
Then put buildings around it with a golf corse and restaurants. A big giant park like setting around the lake so people could come and stay in the hotels and eat and relax.
Around that there could be a large buildings with a dyno area. Automobile dynos and motorcycle dynos.

Build an airport for shipping and bring in manufacturing so there is a machine shop area built in. Also a wind tunnel. All surrounding the drag boat lake. The airport would dual purpose as a 1/4 mile drag strip and one mile Land speed racing venue with a large fire station and hospital to serve the community of houses surrounding the business's .

Build in street and water and sanitation systems.

All this would be next to a huge land speed racing track. Four or five miles of pavement and a mile wide. The largest poured concreat slab ever built. You could see it from space. Solar ,wind and natural gas power the whole town. Make it super eco friendly and have schools with science and technology as a major theme.

All the residence would be a private community with a covenants on the land so some ass hole can't move in and compline about the noise . Elect a mayor and police force .

Sell the houses to pay for it. Sell tickets to events. Charge taxes and fees to use wind tunnel and dyno time. And use manufacture to sell products for speed and racing that could ship all over the world.

Unfortunitly you would also need to build a grave yard . And hire some serious lawyers for the extream liability when people get killed.

Yes It could work. Or we could all just go to Bonneville and get salt in our pants.