View Single Post
Old June 25th, 2023, 04:41 PM   #10
jk3099
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250

TLDR: (I think) I adjusted the valves, changed the sparkplugs, did an oil change, had @ducatiman check my valve and petcock (both were fine), reattached the carbs, and charged the battery, but here's the current issue: https://youtube.com/shorts/DQqvvaXhESw
Where do I go from here?

Hi all,

I finally got around to working on my bike again, and sadly, it's still having issues. Here's what I did to try to fix it between my last post and then:

1. The carbs and petcock were checked by @ducatiman. Other than an o-ring and a screw that I overtightened, both seemed like they were working perfectly. His work is exceptional, so the carbs have been something I've assumed hasn't been an issue.
2. Did a valve adjustment. Initially, I tried using the TDC method suggested by ninja250wiki, and all 4 valves appeared to be within the correct clearances using that. I then tried using the other method where you find T1 and T2 on the timing cuff to make a "Y", and this made it seem like Intake Valve #1 was too loose. I tightened this valve but left the rest unchanged.
3. Changed the spark plugs.
4. Changed the oil. Last post, I noted that it seemed like gas mixed the oil. However, I think the last time I changed my oil, I just added too much (I looked at my bottle from the last time and saw that way too much had been used, and I didn't note a smell of gasoline in the oil). Regardless, I still changed the oil and the filter to the proper amount this time (I double-checked the amount later, and it looked good).
5. Reattached the carbs and really spent a lot of time tightening the boots onto the carbs. I was worried that I didn't do a great job of putting the carbs onto the boots the last time, so I tightened the boots as much as I possibly could and tried to ensure that there were no leaks possible.
6. Fully charged the battery overnight (note: it was completely empty, so this may have explained why it didn't start up last time).

After all this, I tried firing it up. Sadly, this time it seemed worse. It would only run (if you can even call that) with the choke fully on and after twisting the throttle adjustment knob to the proper amount. It's easier to just show a video of what kept happening: https://youtube.com/shorts/DQqvvaXhESw

So, a couple of questions...
1. Is that a knocking sound? If so, I must've screwed my valve adjustment up on intake #1.
2. Where do I go from here?

Thanks, y'all. Really hoping to get to the root of this soon.
jk3099 is offline   Reply With Quote