View Single Post
Old June 26th, 2023, 05:52 AM   #15
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by jk3099 View Post
Regarding the idle screw, I kept spinning it clockwise, but it didn't seem like it was helping. It seemed like after a certain point of just spinning it, too, it wouldn't even start up. The video was from finding a "sweet spot" by spinning it a bunch. Should I keep going clockwise?
The idle adjuster is simply a screw with a knob on it. Turning it just adjusts how far it sticks out and holds the throttle open. It's exactly the same as turning the grip a little to open the throttle a bit.

Since yours is acting funny, I wonder if some part of it is broken. My Vulcan's managed to break while reinstalling the carbs (bolted together in an X shape, mounted in between the V cylinders, so a bit of a pain to deal with). It might be broken in the flex part, so the knob isn't securely affixed to the screw. It's also possible that it's stripped where the screw threads into the bracket - rather than screwing in or out smoothly, it might just be spinning in place or intermittently catching/slipping.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.