View Single Post
Old May 31st, 2011, 05:49 PM   #115
Lowspeed Lowside
Tightwad Tinker

Name: Hans

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Lessons from Turbokart

http://www.turbokart.com/turbo_exciter.htm

The turbo he uses for his stock 22hp engine is the Lombardini (aka Mitsubishi) TD025-03C. I couldn't locate a single click-to-buy supplier for this turbo, so anybody with pricing/supply information please step forward.

Also:

Quote:
I noticed that the boost buildup was very linear to the throttle pedal, almost too much so. It is almost as if the turbo is too small for this engine, which is hard to believe.
If it's beneficial to keep the bike's characteristics up to 8000rpm unchanged (most of us will only want boost when we're riding more aggressively), this is probably not the right turbo for us (unless it's really cheap, in which case we could even consider using two). On the other hand, we could control boost with a servo-motor...

Speaking of servo-motors, if we manually close the throttle, we can have our electronics delay the closing of the actual butterfly-valve, shut off ignition and/or fuel supply, which should prevent compressor surge and eliminate the need for a BOV. And we can get cruise-control for free, as this can be done entirely in software.

His solution to the difficult problem of getting the A/F mixture right was to supplement the carburetors with FI, which is something we haven't considered. One pro would be that we could keep the entire throttle body stock and one fuel injector would be sufficient. I still think a full conversion is preferable as we'll need electronics anyway and we'd get better fuel economy, but I'm not entirely convinced.
Lowspeed Lowside is offline   Reply With Quote